Tag: WCF

Changes of WCF RIA Services for Visual Studio 2010

This blog post, Changes of WCF RIA Services for Visual Studio 2010, is very handy when upgrading code using previous versions of WCF Ria Service.

Advertisements

The type ‘Customers’, provided as the Service attribute value in the ServiceHost directive could not be found.

I was creating some educational material on ASP.NET 3.5 SP1, and in the process I was creating an ADO.NET Data Service, which was located in a subfolder of the Web site root folder. So, using Visual Studio 2008 SP1, I simply added this Data Service to the subfolder and added the few bits of code to be able to test it. Then I got this dreaded error message:

The type ‘Customers’, provided as the Service attribute value in the ServiceHost directive could not be found.

Hmm, I had seen that type of error messages before with WCF services, and since ADO.NET Data Service is wrapped as WCF services, it seemed a very similar problem to what I had previously encountered. It turns that when you ask VS 2008 SP1 to create an ADO.NET Data Service in a subfolder of an ASP.NET Web Site, it automatically creates an App_Code folder in the subfolder and adds the code-behind file to that App_Code folder and not the one in the Web site root folder. I obviously should have noticed this, but I didn’t so I did spend a good few minutes trying other “remedies” to fix the problem, until it dawned on me; Move the bloody code-behind file to App_Code folder in the Web Site root folder, and you’re good to go.