I’ve been trying to install the Windows Phone Developer Tools, vm_web.exe, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=04704acf-a63a-4f97-952c-8b51b34b00ce&displaylang=en, on my various dev boxes, all running under Hyper-V R2. However, this is not a supported scenario. Mind you, it can be done, and I have successfully installed it on a 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7 client.
If you run the 64-bit version, add the following registry key first: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\XDE
Then add the following DWORD (32-bit) value: EnableHWAssist with a value of 00000000.
Once you have downloaded the Windows Phone Developer Tools, perform the following steps:
- On the Hyper-V host machine, run the following command from a command prompt, vm_web.exe /x, and extract to a folder with a name of say WP7Tools.
- Ensure your guest OS/virtual machine have Internet access; this is vital!
- On the Hyper-V guest OS/virtual machine, open the WP7Tools folder in a command prompt.
- Run the following command from the command prompt, setup.exe /web.
- Close the command prompt.
Now you should be able to install the Windows Phone Developer Tools, and yes the emulator works.
If you need to install on Windows Server 2008 (R2), check out this blog post, http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2010/05/02/10005980.aspx.